Did you know the largest fish ever caught was the Whale Shark? It was 59ft long. These fish can weigh up to 15 tons.
Did you know fishes cannot live in the Dead Sea because the water has too much salt in it?
A parrotfish makes its own sleeping bag to sleep in. It uses mucous (like spit) to make a see-through bag all around it’s body to protect it from attack by other creatures in the ocean.
The blue whale is the largest animal on earth. The heart of a blue whale is as big as a car, and it’s tongue is as long as an elephant.
The pelican uses the funny looking pouch under its lower beak for catching fish. It does this by swooshing into the water and scooping up as many fish as possible.
The heaviest fish ever caught was the OCEAN SUNFISH. It weighed 4,928 lbs.
Did you know pearls are found in oysters? The largest pearl ever found was 620 carats.
The swordtail is the fastest swimmer of all the fish
-Most animals don’t eat moss. It’s hard to digest, and it has little nutritional value. But reindeer fill up with lots of moss, because the moss contains a special chemical that helps reindeer keep their body fluids warm. When the reindeer make their yearly journey across the icy Arctic region, the chemical keeps them from freezing-much as antifreeze keeps a car from freezing up in winter.
A Cloud forest hosts huge numbers of plants and animals; the cloud forests of Monteverde, Costa Rica, host over 425 bird species and more varieties of insects than anyone knows.
The Human Body
- your body is made up of trillions of cells? Different parts of your body are made of different kinds of cells.
- …your brain is like a computer, and controls your entire body?
- …your heart beats about 70 times a minute, and each time it beats, it pumps about about a cupful of blood?
- …an adult human heart weighs about 10 ounces and beats over 100,000 times a day?
- …there are 206 bones in your skeleton?
- …about half of the bones in the human body are located in the hands and feet?
- …everyone has thirty-two teeth?
- …your muscles make up about one-half of your body weight?
- …if you were to remove your skin, it would weigh as much as 5 pounds?
- …about 70 percent of your body weight is water?
- …physics includes the study of light, magnets, electricity, forms of energy, sound, mechanics (studying the action of forces on matter)?
- …objects and people move and obey three basic laws of motion: inertia, mass and force, action and reaction?
- …inertia, the first law of motion, states that objects that are at rest tend to stay at rest unless acted upon by some outside force? A ball will not move unless someone kicks it.
- …the second law of motion deals with the mass (the amount of matter in an object) and force (the action on an object)? A ball does not speed up or slow down all by itself because it takes a force to move it or slow it down. How the ball moves depends upon the the object that is used to move it, the force used to move it, and the direction of the force.
- …the third law of motion, action and reaction, states that for every action their is an equal or opposite reaction? A person on a skateboard pushes back to accelerate, and his push back on the ground sends him forward on his skateboard.
- …Isaac Newton discovered the laws of motion more than 300 years ago?
The only 2 animals that can see behind itself without turning it’s head are the rabbit and the parrot.
A zebra is white with black stripes.
A whip makes a cracking sound because its tip moves faster than the speed of sound.
“Almost” is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order.
Snails produce a colorless, sticky discharge that forms a protective carpet under them as they travel along. The discharge is so effective that they can crawl along the edge of a razor without cutting themselves.
The word “listen” contains the same letters as the word “silent”.
A hippopotamus can run faster than a man.
The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.
Electricity doesn’t move through a wire but through a field around the wire.
Hummingbirds are the only animal that can fly backwards.
It is impossible to lick your elbow.
All the planets in the solar system rotate anticlockwise, except Venus. It is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
Names of the three wise monkeys are: Mizaru (See no evil), Mikazaru (Hear no evil), and Mazaru (Speak no evil).
A ‘jiffy’ is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
India never invaded any country in her last 10000 years of history.
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words.
Phobatrivaphobia is a fear of trivia about phobias.
Sanskrit is the mother of all higher languages. Sanskrit is the most precise and therefore suitable language for the computer software – a report in Forbes magazine.
India invented the Number System. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.
Chess (Shataranja or AshtaPada) was invented in India.
Twenty-Four-Karat Gold is not pure gold; there is a small amount of copper in it. Absolutely pure gold is so soft that it can be molded with the hands.
BACK TO AMAZING FACTS