Footwear is an important constituent of fashion world. They are the new fashion statements. Worldwide, there is a huge demand for footwear designers that can use efficient craftsmanship in designing wonderful footwear. Designing and making of shoes is not a simple process and that’s why demand for trained professionals with apt technical know-how is on constant rise. India, true to its rising reputation in international market, has managed to attract global footwear giants. These companies deal with production and export of footwear made from jute, leather, rubber, plastic and canvas. To handle such large operations and complicated techniques, industry requires skilled manpower.
There are three basic departments of footwear industry; design, manufacturing and marketing. As the name suggests, designing department is concerned with creating new patterns and designs keeping in mind customers needs and changing fashion trends. Those willing to make a career in this field, must have creative bent of mind and should be able to maintain the balance between utility and fashion. One can opt for degree courses in footwear design or can pursue diploma and certificate courses in this field.
Footwear design courses in India are available at undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma and certificate levels. One must complete higher secondary for undergraduate diploma or certificate courses in footwear design whereas graduation is the minimum eligibility for a postgraduate diploma in footwear design. One can also pursue B.Tech and M.Tech programme in footwear design and technology career.
Additionally, there are footwear design certificate courses made available by reputed institutions:-
• Certificate in design & product development
• Certificate in basic design & pattern engineering
• Stitching supervisor certification
• Clicking operator certification
• Certification in leather products and footwear design
• Certification in fashion/accessory design
Some of the reputed institutions offering various courses in footwear design and technology are:-
• Footwear Design & Development Institute (Ministry of Commerce, Govt of India), A-10A, Sector 24, NOIDA-201301
• The Central Footwear Training Institute, Site- C, Industrial Area, Sikandara, Agra (U.P)- 282007
• entral Footwear Training Institute, 65/1, GST Road, Guindy, Chennai (Tamil Nadu)- 600032
• Harcourt Butler Technological Institute, Kanpur, UP
• National Institute of Fashion Technology, Old Mahabalipuram Road, Taramani, Chennai-600113
• Muzaffarpur Institute of Technology, Muzaffarpur-842003
• Central Leather Research Institute, Adyar, Chennai (Tamil Nadu)
• Priyadarshini Engineering College, Anna Salai, Konamedu, Vaniyambadi
• AVI School of Fashion & Shoe Technology, Chandigarh
• Bharath Institute of Science & Technology, Selaiyur P.O., Chennai-600073
• College of Leather Technology, Sector III, Salt Lake City, Calcutta
• Dr. B.R.Ambedkar Regional Engineering College, P.O.REC, Jalandhar
After completing the certificate and diploma courses in footwear design and technology, eligible candidates can find wonderful job opportunities in various departments in production and product development, marketing, planning, material sourcing, shop floor supervision, quality control, designing, finishing, purchase, cutting & stitching and merchandising. Footwear designers are responsible for developing innovative products and maintaining fashion trends. Most of the international buying houses, designing firms, export houses and other large footwear giants constantly seek talented footwear designer and technologists.