INDIA’S ONLY SITE DEDICATED TO INTERNET SAFETY
Indianchild.com is honored to assist Nasscom in their noble mission with MUMBAI POLICE CYBER LAB
Education and Entertainment for Children, Parents and Teachers.
The internet is experiencing phenomenal growth, and one of the most rapidly increasing groups using the Internet are children. This explosion of the Internet has also brought a darker side to the revolution in global communications. In recent months the requirement for educating & protecting children from online dangers has become more necessary. As parents, It is your right and responsibility to decide where, when and which sites your child visits.
Online dangers that should worry Parents:
1.While the Internet is an excellent resource for education and entertainment, it is also a direct pipeline into your home for pornographic and other material which are undesirable for their children. Adult sites and pornography can be extremely graphic and violent . An innocent keyword typed on some search engines or wrongly spelling a Web site’s name can lead children or adults into sites that are shocking and often difficult to escape.
Dangerous trends on the internet …. i.e Luring children into pornographic sites by Web tricks, misspelled domain names ( re-directing URLS & other deceptive means).
Children may click on sites these sites assuming them to be homework sites etc ( these sites are titled deceptively or are URL re-directs ) and children would easily led to believe these sites are meant for them. These sites are often difficult to leave.
NEW YORK (CNN)Wednesday, September 3, 2003 — An Internet site owner was arrested used misleading domain names on the Web to deceive minors into logging on to pornographic sites. http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/09/03/trick.names/
It is a federal offense to use a misleading domain name on the Internet with the intent to deceive a minor into viewing material that is harmful to minors, regardless of whether the material meets the legal definition of obscenity (18 U.S.C. 2252B).
For crimes involving children relating to online enticement of children for sexual acts, child prostitution, child-sex tourism ,child sexual molestation (not in the family), unsolicited obscene material sent to a child or misleading domain names, YOU COULD REPORT THEM HERE. ( If you are from India, Click here for websites of Police departments).
(Mumbai Contact : http://www.mumbaicyberlab.org/ )
If you find sites luring children to porn with misleading or Deceptive redirects you could also report here :http://www.google.com/contact/spamreport.html
2.E-mail addresses are often gathered and sold to various marketing agencies. Pornography sites have been known to steal other Web sites’ home pages as their own or give it an innocent name to lure people into the site under false pretenses. It is common practice for these sites to share personal information and surfing habits with others.
3.Pornographic adult sites are not the only ones that use misleading information to lure surfers. Other sites, which include bomb making formulas sites, Sites that glorify violence, and recruiting venues for terrorist groups that want to convince children to join and further their causes are aplenty. Be careful before clicking on banner advertisements.
4.Strangers and undesirable elements often reside in interactive areas frequented by children ( like chat rooms) where they look for unassuming kids with whom they can cultivate a relationship.Click here to know how a lady pedophile kidnapped a 16 year old boy whom she befriended via a chat room in India.
More recent incidents involving Indian children……shocking and sad.!
5. It can take as little as one minute for a child to be approached by cyber criminal/maniac via email, chat rooms and instant messaging programs. These surfers often send alarming requests, pictures and information and can do a lot of harm. Although cyber laws in India are active since 2000, it is very difficult to trace such elements since they may be operating from outside India. In case of any such problem, you could take the help of your local police station or the police commissioner’s office in your city.
1) Guiding parents to appropriate authorities to report cyber crime, online harassment or Child porn.
2)Regularly keeping an update on ‘Child-safety’ news & features, blocking and filtering software and educating Children, Parents and Teachers about the same. We want to protect the innocence and purity of childhood for as long as possible.
We regularly research & contribute articles on Internet safety for the media. Please check our ‘ ARTICLES ON INTERNET SAFETY FOR PARENTS‘ section and ‘Fun-to-learn Web safety for kids‘ section for this.
PRINTOUTS YOU CAN USE TO SPREAD THE MESSAGE OF INTERNET SAFETY
3) Develop in children good manners and respect for their elders and senior citizens. Our site is dedicated towards building a good character in children. Visit our raising good childrensection for regular updates.
4) Training children to be good citizens with a deep faith & virtues, which will inspire them to seek and find God. We include prayers of all faiths & religions.
5) Indianchild.com offers ‘peace of mind’ and helps children, parents and teachers. We list clean, good sites for kids. We only include acceptable or ‘child-safe’ sites.
6) We publish essays related to children’s issues & social causes in India. Feel free to mail us with inspiring poems, stories etc. which spread the message of love & Communal Goodwill. We do NOT accept any donations. Feel free to use our articles on internet safety with a courtesy mention.
Indianchild.com has been certified as a child-safe site by various organizations including Safesurf, Cybersitter, Kidtastic etc
Awarded CyberTeddy’s Top 500 WebSite award.
AND WON THE PRESTIGIOUS TEACHER’S CORNER AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE.
INDIANCHILD.COM FEATURED EXCLUSIVELY ON INDIAN PRIME TIME NATIONAL TELEVISION SHOW :
‘CHILD SAFETY ON THE NET’ ON NDTV (24X7) ON 4.04.2007 and ON 5.4.2007– SPECIAL FOCUS ON INDIANCHILD.COM AND INTERVIEW OF OUR CEO.
AGAIN, ANOTHER INTERVIEW ON NDTV WITH OUR CEO ON 21.8.2007
Media Feedback on Indianchild.com ” ..I think that you are doing some great work in this field, the need for which is only growing to increase as the reach of the internet grows” – Sidharth Pandey, Chief correspondent, Investigations. Ndtv24x7
MCAFEE FEATURES INDIANCHILD.COM – Nov 2007. A study on typo-squatters on brand name or children’s sites.
Full story : www.mcafee.com/typosquatters & http://us.mcafee.com/root/identitytheft.asp?id=safe_typo&cid=38296#Decline
Archived reviews of Indianchild.com : Mid-day – Mumbai edition (3.10.2000), The Afternoon D.C ( 4.10.2000 page 8), Sunday Free Press journal(15.10.2000), Times of India-Education Times ( 6.11.2000), Interview in the The Indian Express (14.10.2000), Midday – (14.11.2000), IT Magazine (Nov.2000 issue), Computers@Home (jan 2001), Times of India (MUMBAI)-Education Times (22.1.2001),Mid-day (2.2.2001), Young at Art (Feb 2001), DINAKARAN Tamil Daily News paper (13.4.2001), South Mumbai NGO’s Express (june 2001), Computesathome (Aug 2001), Times of India-Education times (20.8.2001), The Tribune ( kids chat )– (29/10/2001), The Tribune (kids chat) – (6/5/2002, The Hindu – Metro Plus Thiruvananthapuram – ( 23/9/2002), Rediff.com May 08, 2003, lifelines2000.org ( official U.S. navy website), Balvihar Children’s International monthly Feb 2004, deccanherald –April 15, 2004. Balvihar Children’s International monthly JAN 2005 ( in MOM & DAD column has recommended indianchild.com as a good site)…..
If you come across more articles, press reviews about indianchild.com, please let us know 🙂
Request to the Television and Print media : We request media professionals to send us advance information about the dates while mentioning indianchild.com, specially, to-be-televised dates etc. Thank you.
WE DO NOT ACCEPT DONATIONS
TO GET INVOLVED, YOU MAY VISIT OTHER WEBSITES DEDICATED TO THE CAUSE OF INDIAN CHILDREN.
http://www.CHDinfo.com – Children’s heart operations sponsored - The Dr.Mani Children Heart Foundation
Some Banners of Indianchild.com which you can use on your web site to Spread the message of safe surfing :
Let’s spread the message of Internet safety for our children.
We welcome you to place a link on your Web site to www.indianchild.com. We encourage you to add our cyber safety banners on your website and link to www.indianchild.com
We welcome your valuable comments and suggestions
Acknowledgements & Thanks ! :
www.indianchild.com child-safety mission in India is supported by The Directi Foundation.
1) DIRECTI – Our internet safety mission has been encouraged & supported by Directi Foundation. They are also one of the largest re-seller of domain names in the world. Through a reseller network of over 18,000 re-sellers, DirectI serves a client base in excess of 500,000 customers in 230+ countries. ( As on July 2005 )
2) Federal Research Division of the Library of Congress
3) Parents, children, media & NGOs from all over the world who send us their valuable comments & encouragement. Thanks 🙂
“Children are not things to be molded, But persons to be unfolded.”
There is Ali in Diw-ali and Ram in Ram-zan,
We are all Children of the same Lord.
Let’s spread the message of Love & Peace.